Participants at a recent service at Unity were invited to share their visions for the future of our spiritual community, completing the sentence "This will be a community where..." The responses describe a community characterized by the presence of loving acceptance where we strive together for personal growth and global justice. This is the community we commit to being.Some of the responses of the congregation are included below.
This will be a community where...
- we can take time out from everyday life and remember what is really important to each and every one of us...
- people feel at home
- everyone has the capacity, motivation and empowerment to grow and change with Love at the ♥
- generosity of spirit prevails
- 1) bold initiatives are taken to advocate human justice and 2) honesty and integrity and transparency are key values
- good attitudes are encouraged and considered more important than beliefs
- lots of fun activities - a range - serious and not
- we support each other's paths and share some path too
- people from all backgrounds are welcome
- sharing and caring for each other with love and respect
- all are heard, all an be confronted as well as supported - this includes congregation, minister and leadership committee
- members can just be and explore their spirituality
- a sense of welcoming and belonging extends beyond the congregation and into the community that surrounds us
- people break down barriers and get to know one another honestly and truly
- people feel they belong to an extended family
- everybody knows they've got a friend in everybody else
- all are welcome
- [we] live our faith with action
- I can come to reflect on my joys
- I can learn about new things & ideas! (actually, it's already doing this pretty well)
- everyone is welcome, everyone is valued, where there is time to think and encouragement to do
- we find a haven of peace, unconditional love and humour... once a week, or everyday
- I feel safe and welcome
- we hear thoughtful readings
- it will be good will be wonderful
- there is no judgment, only support and acceptance, growth and questioning
- everyone will be welcome and valued
- we are ourselves
- the "Heart" will be at the centre of all...