Recruiting Now: Social Media freelancer
Summary and Purpose of role
New Unity is a non-religious church, rooted in the spirit of dissent, activism, freedom and equality. We are a radically-inclusive community, open to people of all beliefs, ages, backgrounds, genders, sexualities and abilities, dedicated to the pursuit of peace, social justice, and unity. This is a freelance role with no set hours or duration, but is expected to equate to 2-4 hours a week, with a one month probationary period.
Tasks would include:
- Drafting weekly tweets which promote our programme and inspire followers
- Uploading events onto the website, Facebook and App
- (Once you are comfortable with the tone) Managing our Social media accounts, including responding to tweets and followers and promoting events.
- Responding to tasks and questions on our online database Podio
- Being responsible for learning to use any software required (such as Hootsuite, Podio, Squarespace etc)
- Other little digital/uploading tasks/research
You'd be in communication with the New Unity Communications Officer, Ama and occasionally our administrator and minister, but mostly take the lead from her.
- Have at least one year of experience in professional social media for a brand/company/organisation or project
- Be comfortable using Twitter, Hootsuite, Instagram and preferably Squarespace (but if not this can be taught).
- Have flexible hours and be able to work remotely
- Be comfortable giving realistic timelines as to what they can mange and be able to ask questions or ask for help if they are not managing
- Be a fast learner, able to pick up on key themes and get a good feel for the branding, tone and message New Unity is trying to communicate.
- Be responsive to the requests of the communications officer, innovative and creative with the New Unity message.
- Be based in London and able to meet up with the comms person once a month.
The pay is £9.75 an hour, and you can invoice us monthly (you will be responsible for your own tax and national insurance). The contracting organisation is New Unity - www.new-unity.org. The applicant should be ready to start ideally from June 26th (and no later than July 1st).
If you are interested, or have any questions please apply to: email@example.com with:
- A short letter stating why you want the role and what you feel you can bring to New Unity. This letter should also talk about previous experience that you feel is relevant.
- One reference letter or referee contact details.
- Look at the New Unity Twitter page: @newunity for past tweets and at our website for more information on New Unity and come up with a week of proposed tweets (one a day) not exceeding 140 characters in a word document, compete with images/gifs/links etc. Please include an even amount of NU events, local news, inspiring stories, reference to our catchlines '#believeingood' & '#fightforbetter', you can also draw on the 'archive of talks' section of the website for quotes by Andy Pakula, the New Unity minister.
If you are able to, please attend a Sunday Gathering at New Unity, Newington Green (info online) that will really help you to get a feel for the branding and tone of the community we foster.
You do not have to be religious or of any particular faith or belief to apply, we strongly encourage applications from under-represented communities.
Please get back to me as soon as possible, but I will accept applications until the end of June 2017.
Don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions.